Friday, November 19, 2010

Homeschooling

During the school year I am blessed to be at home with my children learning right along with them. We have been on this journey for 7 years now. It has been trying at times but mostly it has been deeply satisfying. I feel like I really know my kids and the bond in our family is very strong. I would like to start a series of posts where I share about the curriculum that we choose to use. There are many different styles of homeschooling and I do not feel that any really describe what we do. I guess if I had to choose the closest would be eclectic. We use a lot of the resources provided by Ambleside Online. This is a Charlotte Mason/Living Books approach to teaching. I lean heavily on this method but like all things in my life I am not a purest. I also use some of the Waldorf methods of homeschooling and some of the classical stuff too. This year has been the first year that I have really spent time in prayer and asked God's guidance in our school year. It has made this year the best year so far. I am more at peace with my choices and the kids have gotten a lot more out of our school year than ever before.

Over the next few posts I will talk about the different curriculum that we have used over the past 7 years and what we are using now.

No comments: